Why School Uniforms?
Why School Uniforms At RACS?
As a parent of a prospective or current RACS student, we thank you for helping support our uniform dress code policy at our schools. We have learned from experience that student uniforms promote school safety, improve discipline and enhance the learning environment. In addition to these benefits, uniforms help us place emphasis on education and the values of good citizenship. Other important considerations of our school uniform code are:
· Uniforms help decrease the likelihood of violence and theft because students are not tempted to argue over designer clothing.
· Uniforms prevent gangs from establishing a presence because gang colors and insignias are strictly prohibited.
· Uniforms create a more professional environment whereby students understand they are coming to class to work and not to just hang out and socialize with friends.
· Uniforms help parents and students resist peer pressures because there is no need to wear the latest styles or follow popular clothing trends.
· Uniforms help parents who struggle financially because uniforms are much more affordable than costly fashions that change often.
· Uniforms enhance safety because they make it easy to identify anyone who attempts to enter school property without authorization.
Every student attending RACS is expected to be properly attired according to our established dress code. The policies pertaining to our school uniform dress code are included in our student handbook and are listed as follows:
Rochester Academy Charter School has a dress code policy to help create a safe and orderly environment, instill pride in our school community, and eliminate the competition and distractions caused by varied dress styles. You will be expected to arrive in dress code every day. Please cooperate, display modesty and neatness, and take pride in a clean, neat and attractive uniform. School Uniform can be bought from school.
SHIRTS: Interlock Performance Polo. Approved Colors: Navy blue or light blue uniform shirts with school logo
PANTS: Any style that fits properly, worn at the waist. Approved color: Khaki/ tan
SKIRTS: Knee-length, with no designs or logos. Approved color: Khaki/ tan
ATHLETIC WEAR: T-shirt, sweat pants or shorts at knee length. PLEASE NOTE: Athletic wear is only approved for Physical Education classes and need not be of a specific color.
Other Uniform Codes:
· Hats, caps, scarves and other headgear may not be worn in the building, with the exception of religious headgear.
· Jewelry and accessories should be appropriate for school and not attract undue attention. RACS reserves the right to assess the jewelry’s appropriateness.
· Flip-flops, slippers, heels over 1” or open-toed shoes are not allowed.
· Clothes shall be sufficient to conceal undergarments at all times. See through or fishnet fabrics, ripped clothing, tube tops, off the shoulder, spaghetti straps or low cut tops, bare midriffs, and skirts or shorts shorter than knee-length are prohibited.
· Glasses may be worn for vision correction only. No sunglasses, 3D glasses, or costume glasses are allowed.
· Cosmetics should be appropriate for school and not attract undue attention.
If a student arrives at school out of uniform, parents will be called, and the student will be kept out of classes until you are dressed appropriately. All class time missed will count as an unexcused absence.
NOTE: IN ALL INSTANCES, THE BUILDING ADMINISTRATOR SHALL BE THE FINAL ARBITER OF THE SCHOOL DRESS CODE.